Overall, we spent seven months working on this feature, with a joint effort in our product triad – PM, Design, and Engineering. Two years later, I can proudly say that our design increased monthly viewership by over 400% and new page creation by 350%. This is certainly an achievement to be proud of!
What would I have done differently? This design effort was executed under true “start-up” conditions. We had to release quickly and didn’t have direct access to customers. As a result, the majority of the design was based purely on design heuristics, intuition, and competitive research. I wish we could have built in more time for usability testing, as we found areas for improvement once we conducted them. This taught me a valuable lesson: design must fiercely advocate for our users. Due to the need to release quickly and move on to other projects, some parts of the design that I wanted to see implemented were cut. These cuts could have improved both the usability and adoption of the feature. As I moved on to other projects, I learned how to negotiate what would meet our GA bar, while still prioritizing our users.