Once the wireframes had been signed off, they were given to the visual designer to skin. A few weeks later, I was able to take the final visual designs to create an unmoderated quantitative first-click test in Chalkmark. After writing a test plan, in which we outlined the goal of the usability study, the criteria for the users, the tasks they would complete, and the pre- and post-test questions, we built the study in Chalkmark and ran it for about two weeks. We ended up with just under 100 participants, and received a lot of valuable feedback. Presenting those insights back to client, we were able to decide which changes to the design should be implemented – they all ended up being minor but important tweaks that greatly enhanced the experience. We look forward to seeing this portal built so that the agents can more easily manage their clients and book of business!
Usability test – Task result page
For this usability test, we had both a pre- and post- test questionnaire, and set tasks for users to complete in an unmoderated first-click test. We provided screenshots of the new versions of pages, and asked where users might go to find specific information. The data gathered came back in a heatmap type format, where we could see the “correct” and “incorrect” areas that our users were clicking. We received some great feedback on this usability test!
Usability test – Questionnaire result page
Because we were able to test this redesign with existing users that had experience with the original version, we were able to conduct our usability test from a comparison standpoint – working to obtain data to verify if the redesign was indeed an improvement over the existing version.